Creators: James L. Brooks, Stan Daniels, David Davis, Ed. Weinberger
Cast: Judd Hirsch, Jeff Conaway, Danny DeVito
This is one of many of my favorite from the late 70’s and what the great series that was. It was about a cab company and their cab drivers here is the rundown:
- Alex Rieger (Judd Hirsch) A fortyish lifelong New Yorker with an ex-wife, an estranged daughter.
- Elaine Nardo (Marilu Henner) Divorced mother of two, Elaine has devoted her early thirties to pursuit of a career in the arts, but has found it necessary to drive a cab nights to make ends meet. Elaine is attractive and streetwise, rarely without male attention that often brings problems to the table.
- Bobby Wheeler (Jeff Conaway) An aspiring actor and fashion victim, Bobby has little on hid mind , weathering an endless series of self-esteem crises. He always returns to his arrogant self in the end.
- Tony Banta (Tony Danza) The classic gentle fighter. Tony is a good guy, despite his war experience; even a bit of a bore sometimes,
- John Burns (Randall Carver) Designated regular guy.
- Latka Gravas ( Andy Kaufman). Latka is a crack mechanic; the only problem is communicating with him. Seems capable of learning only idiomatic English. and his from some country somewhere some kind of funky country that you never heard theme ever before.
- Louie DePalma (Danny DeVito) The bully, usually parked in his high-mounted dispatching cage, or throne as he would have it. Louie is verbally abusive, money oriented, and wants his cab on the street at all the time well so he can make money.
The show was great as I said. it revolves around those characters with the everyday life and their daily problems with customers and each other. Tony Danza an amateur boxer himself in real life played one here that how he got his start in this sitcom a lucky break. There were Latka having difficulties with his visa, Elaine problems with her dates and her kids. They always ending up in the garage talking teasing each other with the Boss always complaining that they are not ou there to make him money. Great time with this series. There were an episode where Alex delivers a baby in his cab. Taxi broke new ground in the sitcom department. You might catch in the rerun somewhere on some channel. Take a look at it you are going to live it.Taxi is a show about adults in the blue-collar workplace. You can get it on DVD or on Netflix which I am sure they have it. Good times with this one. I was in my teens when this one came out. I used to watch it with my best friend every week never a dull moment.